[hpsdr] ATX vars Molex, my 2 cents

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 08:05:17 PST 2006

On 3/5/06, David Queen <davideq at gmail.com> wrote:

> As I see it the 20 pin ATX allows use of the  picoPSU which is very neat.
> Adaptor cables to allow a 24 pin supply are readily available.
> Any thing you can do with the Molex connector and a custom cable hack could
> also be bone with the 20 pin ATX connector.
> The layout for the 20 pin is done so any change would cause addition work to
> be required and add delay.
>
> The only advantage  I can see to the Molex is  size which does not seem to
> be a major issue on the current layout.
>
> It seems to me the 20 pin ATX looks like a winner.
>
> PS: I fully agree that during development power supplies with more
> reasonable or adjustable current limits would be a prudent choice.

Thanks, David, for your input.

Looks like the 20 pin ATX will stay... unless a stronger arguement is
made to do something else.  You are 100% correct - just about anything
that can be done with a custom Molex can be done with the 20 pin
Molex.

I'd like to get this all tied down this week so I can move on to the
Mercury board - so, please everyone, make your comments/suggestions
soon!

73 de Phil N8VB