[hpsdr] Atlas Production Team

Ray Anderson ray.anderson at xilinx.com
Wed Mar 8 11:58:54 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Lyle Johnson [mailto:kk7p at wavecable.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 11:46 AM
To: ray.anderson
Cc: hpsdr at hpsdr.org
Subject: Re: [hpsdr] Atlas Production Team

> Due to the stackup (4 layers with ground plane on the top layer), el
> cheapo fab houses like ExpressPCB or SparkFun's batch service won't do

> this board. PCBexpress will. It looks like their pricing would work
out
> to be 6 boards for $389 ($64.83 each)  10 boards for $488 ($48.80
each).
> As the quantity goes up the per piece price goes down (duhhh!) to
around
> $20 if you are willing to buy 100 pieces.
>
> Does anyone have experience with other fab houses that we might look
at
> for a quote that you've had good results from and have what you
consider
> decent pricing? It has been a while since I've investigated pricing
for
> prototype board fabs.

Protoexpress (Silicon Valley) will do them, 20 pcs @ $40.02, 50 pcs @
22.90.  Quotes from their website and based on the latest PDF stuff on
Phil's site.  I've used these guys for flight boards for spacecraft; the

quality is good.

PCBnet (Chicagoland area) quotes (for 2 week turn) 20 pcs @ $23.10, 50
pcs @ $12.48, plus a $200 one-time charge => 20 @ $33.10, 50 @ $16.48.
I've used these folks for prototypes before at 2 layers and have no
reason to doubt the quality of their 4 layer stuff.

73,

Lyle KK7P

Thanks Lyle.  I'll check those outfits out. Also just found a place in
Sacramento (PCB Design & Manufacturing) who quotes $25 each on quantity
5 proto boards (and down to $3.75 each if you go for production boards
at 150 pieces). Don't have any idea about their quality though. May be a
case of you get what you pay for (or not...).

73's de Ray   WB6TPU