[hpsdr] [ATLAS] Gerbers posted...

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 07:09:46 PST 2006

Helmut,

On 3/9/06, vk4str <vk4str at netspace.net.au> wrote:
> Phil,
>
> Just did a few checks on the Gerbers and I am puzzled!
>
> On Layer 1 the pins 10, 11, 20 are connected to GND?

No, pins 3, 5, 7, 13, 15, 16, 17 are connected to ground.

Pin 10 is connected to +12V, pin 11 is +3.3V, and pin 20 is +5V.

> On Layer 3 pins 1, 2, 11 are OK (+3.3V) but all others are connected
> together without any isolated pads for several power and signal lines?

I don't see this.

> If I plug my picoPSU-120 ATX power supply into the connector I will get
> a huge surprise.

I don't think so - the pinout is correct as far as the information that I have.

> Has anyone else checked out the Gerbers? Hope this does not become an
> expensive mistake. In my opinion the ATX connector should conform to the
> standard pinout, without having to cut wires in the ATX harness.

The connector on the Atlas does correspond to the standard ATX pinout.

> Since
> this is supposed to be group project it would be a good idea if a number
> of people double check a layout to prevent any errors to slip through
> unnoticed.

It *is* supposed to be a group project and I wish more people would
become actively involved.

> Flame suit on, could not stand by and let the Gerbers go out the door
> like that before this is cleared up.

Well, they won't be going out today anyhow.  Possibly next week.

> No offence intended, I just dont
> see why the Atlas boards need to be rushed through like that.

Your definition of "rushed" is obviously different than mine :-)   How
long have we been discussing this #*!~# Atlas thing now?  I want to
get it locked down and move on...

> No
> momentum is lost at all, I would not want to order an Atlas alone
> without having anything to plug into it. So it is reasonable to assume
> that people will want to order an Atlas, a Lionheart and a Janus as a
> starting configuration so they can do something useful.

Without a bus definition, it is difficult to move on with the Janus,
Mercury, FPGA-USB board, etc...  IMHO, the Atlas is holding up
progress on the other projects.

Also, the way these offerings (like the SoftRock) tend to be quickly
sold out, I would advise you not to wait until the Janus and Lionheart
boards are available before ordering an Altas when Eric E sets up the
initial ordering process.  You can always have a few boards made
yourself - the files will be available.

> Helmut

73 de Phil N8VB