[hpsdr] Starting BOM already

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 16:17:30 PST 2006

On 3/13/06, lyle johnson <kk7p at wavecable.com> wrote:

> > Ok, guys, we – or at least I – have a problem here.
> > All the 0805 SMT LEDs I see in Mouser have an operating
> > point of 20mA...
>
> That doesn't mean you have to run it at 20 mA, justthat it
> can take 20 mA and willproduice whatever the datasheet
> claims for birghtness at that current.
>
> Since this is inside a box, not outside in bright
> daylight, we can operate these LEDs at much lower current.
I>
> I suspect 5mA would be usefully visible.
>
> 73,
>
> Lyle KK7P

Definitely.

This is why I really haven't wanted to post a BOM yet.  It would be
nice to get a board in hand first, then determine what LEDs and
resistors to use later.   Even 1k resistors for the 3.3 V supply is
more than bright enough.

I am sure we could go with 1k, 1.5k, and 2k for the 3.3, 5, and 12 V
supplies and the LEDs would be bright enough.

I will look and see what LEDs I used from Digikey in the previous
HPSDR FPGA-USB motherboard and post that info.

73 de Phil N8VB