[hpsdr] Brief definition of Open Source.

lloen at rapidwebllp.com lloen at rapidwebllp.com
Tue Mar 14 09:04:24 PST 2006

I'll add a few comments that could be useful.

[snip]

> Brief definition of Open Source.
>
> In a ‘nutshell’, open source is a term that is applied to a philosophy, in
> that the production and organisation of a project or system is created
> through open and cooperative efforts.
>
> Open source software refers to computer software available with its source
> code and under an ‘open source licence’ to study, change and improve its
> design and functionality.
>
> There are many ‘Open source software’ licences, the most prominent being
> the
> GNU General Public Licence (GNU GPL or simply GPL), originally written by
> Richard Stallman.
>
> The GNU grants the recipients of a computer program the following rights,
> or
> freedoms:
>
> The freedom to run the program, for any purpose.
> The freedom to study how the program works, and modify it.
> The freedom to redistribute copies.

In some licenses, GPL particularly, there is the _obligation_ to
redistribute copies if you undertake certain actions (not just reading the
code, however).  The reason is to preserve the freedoms of the original
authors on whose efforts you build.  When and why this should happen is a
pandora's box of discussions.  However, someone starting out in Open
Source should understand that it is possible to take on obligations as
well as benefits.  In other words, some of the licenses _require_ you to
give as well as receive, at least sometimes.  This is done, or so the
license authors hope, to actually increase overall freedom, mostly by
eliminating "free riding" of certain kinds.

> The freedom to improve the program, and release the improvements to the
> public

Again, in some instances, "require".

> The users are treated like co-developers, are encouraged to submit
> additions
> to the software, code fixes, bug reports, documentation etc. Having more
> co-developers increases the rate at which the software evolves.
> Furthermore,
> each end user’s machine provides an additional testing environment. This
> new
> testing environment offers the ability to find and fix a new bug quickly.

Another issue for some is the interaction of the GPL (and some of the
other licenses) with patents (mostly, giving up patent rights).  Since
some of us may have professional and even legal obligations to our various
employers, even for "hobby" efforts, this should be accounted for before
participating in some kinds of open source projects.  Or, more simply,
participating in some respects.

In my case, even looking at the PowerSDR source required prior discussions
with my management.

Larry  WO0Z