[hpsdr] Converting a PC Power Supply for External Use

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 07:48:15 PST 2006

On 3/29/06, Lyle Johnson <kk7p at wavecable.com> wrote:

> > It may turn out that Atlas should be powered from a totally different
> > power supply.
>
> I think the project is being designed such that it *can* be powered from
> an ATX supply, but it isn't a requirement that it *be* powered from an
> ATX supply.
>
> 73,
>
> Lyle KK7P

For development I plan on using a current limited bench supply myself.
 The Altas does not require an ATX power supply.  You can get the
mating MOLEX connector and wire up anything to it you want.

I consider all of the bus voltages to be "raw" meaning that 99% of the
time I would have local regulation on the plug-in boards.  For example
the Mercury will require 3.3V and 1.2V.  I intend to use the +5V bus
supply and regulate down to 3.3V instead of using the 3.3V bus supply.
 In some cases the "raw" voltages will be just fine though.

I don't think that there is anything to worry about as far as the
power available from the negative supplies.  In most cases the
negative supplies won't need to supply any more than a few hundred
milliamps - it is nice to have them for op amp negative rails...

On the positive supplies we will run into problems with heat removal
long before we run out of power capability.

73 de Phil N8VB