[hpsdr] Bus Terminations

Ray Anderson ray.anderson at xilinx.com
Wed Mar 29 11:25:14 PST 2006

>I have been following this forum for about a month now, and it has been
exciting to watch this project move forward.  I >certainly admire, the
technical skills of the folks who are working on the project.

>As the design for the Atlas board moved forward I kept thinking about
the old S-100 PC (I am showing my age ) bus and the >need to provide
termination for the lines on that bus.  If it turns out that lines need
to be terminated could it be easily >done by plugging in a
terminator/daughter card into the endmost or an unused bus connector?

>Mark Ericksen

Sheesh.... I seem to remember wire-wrapping an 8088 processor board to
plug into a S-100 backplane back in the early 80's. Time flies when you
are having fun :-)

Regarding the terminator boards in the end slots: While yes, you could
do that I suppose, you would be using up 2 of our 6 slots. If you needed
to add termination to support a different bus topology configured as
multidrop or multipoint you could just make sure your boards with the
bus receivers had termination provisions on them. That way you get your
termination without wasting slots for a board whose only purpose is to
provide terminations....

73,   Ray    WB6TPU