[hpsdr] Pinging Lurkers

Eric Ellison ecellison at comcast.net
Wed Mar 29 17:12:19 PST 2006

Mike

Thanks Mike, I think it very prudent to go with the alpha, as I mentioned.
The Atlas board except for a few of 12 SMT parts is more making sure you
don't miss any of the hundreds of buss connections. This board alone is
mostly thru hole stuff so it should be do-able for most folks. If not I
guess we could search for someone who would be willing to assemble for a
price. The delay will be minor with Ray, Phil, and Bill working on
evaluating the Atlas. I don't think we are too close to the Lionheart,
overtaking the Atlas, so be patient everyone. Once tested we can 'push' the
begimminies out of the Atlas.

My thinking about the high pitch multi-pad stuff to come, is that we are
going to need a FAB who will mount at least the SMT stuff. I can tell you, I
don't have the capability at the moment, and that condition will only get
worse with age. Phil - VK6APH has mentioned that he has a FAB shop in India
which can do he SMT mounting. I think all the developers and probably the
Lurkers realize that we won't progress unless we address that fact. I know
that Phil Covington and Phil Harman have really good microscopes, and are
some of the few who have the capability of manually assembling the Alpha
boards from parts. It would probably be nice if we bought a stencil with the
Alpha products. Someone also mentioned the possibility of getting a
commercial reflow station which is not being used. I'll ping him on that and
see if it is a possibility.

Thanks
Eric