[hpsdr] The Basics (with updates)

Alex harvilchuck at yahoo.com
Tue May 2 21:49:59 PDT 2006

So based on the very good comments of N8VB and KK7P, the HPSDR System is:

ATLAS - A six position passive backplane with power connectors for an off-the-shelf ATX power supply. Includes two data buses with power and ground.

LIONHEART - an Altera Cyclone II FPGA and Cypress FX2 USB 2.0 control board for the ATLAS backplane with an interface for 1 pps GPS timing signal

OZYMANDIAS - an Altera Cyclone II FPGA and Cypress FX2 USB 2.0 control board for the ATLAS backplane with an interface for 1 pps GPS timing signal. a "bigger" version of the LIONHEART

JANUS - a 192kHz ADC/DAC board for the ATLAS backplane which provides Tx-Rx I/Q and control interfaces to the SDR-1000

MERCURY - a 0-30MHz direct sampling receiver with a 130MHz A/D and an Altera Cyclone II FPGA-based DDC for the ATLAS backplane

SASQUATCH - a standalone TI TMS320C6726 DSP board, with an Altera Cyclone II FPGA, memory and some I/O for the ATLAS backplane

PROTO - a prototyping card for the ATLAS backplane

INITIAL CONFIGURATIONS:

ATLAS-LIONHEART/OZYMANDIAS-JANUS+SDR-1000
    Would provide 192kHz operations with SDR-1000 via USB 2.0 interface to a Windows/Linux computer

ATLAS-LIONHEART/OZYMANDIAS-SASQUATCH-JANUS+SDR-1000
    Would provide 192kHz operations with SDR-1000 standalone (no computer required)

Later the MERCURY would be added to the mix as a broadband receiver coupled with the wideband receiver and transmitter on the JANUS.

More questions:

How is OZYMANDIAS "bigger" than LIONHEART?
What is the development status of LIONHEART?

Is JANUS interfacing to SDR-1000 just for I/Q signals or is it also providing the LPT-based control interface?

Are OZYMANDIAS, MERCURY and SASQUATCH going to use the Altera Cyclone II FPGA?

Alex, N3NP