[hpsdr] Toaster Oven

Lawrence Stoskopf stoskopf at tri.net
Fri May 12 17:18:21 PDT 2006

Anyone thinking about doing the toaster oven bit should consider the Krup
Convection Oven now on sale at the JC Penney site.  It is on sale for $99,
down from the $200 sitting on the shelf at Williams-Sonoma.  It has 6 quartz
elements:  three up and three down.

I opened mine after some slight difficulty to find the control wires going
to the upper and lower triacs (I think) on a pluggable cable.  1600 watts
total.  In normal use the upper and lower alternate.

I think I will just turn on the bake function which turns on the upper three
only at high heat and control those with a relay in the trigger line.
Thermocouple wires out to the LabJack U3 which has the thremocouple
conversion built in.  Control by a digital line out from the U3 to a relay
using the 5v from the U3.  The rest is software.

Plan to set up the software so that pushing the Broil, time, and Start to
get the oven going.  Start the sequences controlling the temp with the U3
and preserving all the safety stuff built into the oven.

Will let you know after Dayton how it works out.

N0UU