[hpsdr] GIBRALTAR with MERCURY or CASMIR

Alex harvilchuck at yahoo.com
Sun May 14 15:45:09 PDT 2006

I've been thinking about using GIBRALTAR in the same chassis as a MERCURY and a tbd transmitter card (yes, I've been pulling together a design for one, I'm thinking of calling it CASMIR) the question come to mind on how best to distribute the reference signal to the cards.

Do we:

(a) send a 1 pps signal over the ATLAS
(b) distribute a 1 pps signal with coaxial connections (thus needing a pulse d/a on GIBRALTAR)
(c) distribute the generated refrence signal with coaxial connections (thus needing a d/a on GIBRALTAR)

The AD9958 or AD9959 both need a high stability reference clock input, and the AD8349/AD8345 modulators need a LO input.
I'm thinking the LO should be generated onboard (based off the 1pps signal from GIBRALTAR)

Alex, N3NP