[hpsdr] Some ideas for an alternative system

Leon Heller leon.heller at bulldoghome.com
Fri May 26 02:25:56 PDT 2006

Although I was involved during the early stages of the project, and assumed
responsibility for the Lionheart sub-system (now Ozymandias), I lost
interest in it for various reasons.

Having acquired a good selection of devices (purchases and samples)
including Cyclone II and Spartan 3 FPGAs, LTC2208 ADCs and SHARC DSPs, I
thought it might be interesting to pursue a similar approach to the existing
system built on Atlas, but using tiny Hirose DF12 board to board connectors
(0.5 mm lead spacing) for connecting the various modules together (I'm using
them on another project and they are popular on other systems such as the
Gumstix). I envisage a main board containing the FPGA and USB interface,
with an LPC2000 ARM controlling the USB chip (PLX NET2272), with connectors
for two daughter boards. One daughter board would contain the ADC, another a
SHARC DSP and codec. The main FPGA board will make a very flexible
general-purpose FPGA board; with different daughter boards it could be used
for completely different applications, making it of general interest for
FPGA development purposes. The whole thing would be extremely small, perhaps
6"x4" or so.

73, Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
leon.heller at bulldoghome.com
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

---
[This E-mail has been scanned for viruses but it is your responsibility
to maintain up to date anti virus software on the device that you are
currently using to read this email. ]