[hpsdr] [OZY] Initial OZY Schematic Posted For Review and Comments - May 10, 2006

Bill Tracey bill at ewjt.com
Wed May 10 22:57:47 PDT 2006

Man, I've got to get a wide format printer ... reading these things on 8
1/2 x 11 is for the birds!

One thing Phil H has done debugging the Xylo is to have an RS 232 out that
he can write to from within the FPGA for debugging.  I'd planned to add one
of the FTDI serial -> USB chips to my Xylo to be able to do this via a USB
port.  Any interest in doing this on the Ozy's FPGA?  If so I can try and
get the FTDI setup prototyped on the Xylo over the weekend -- I prefer the
FTDI USB Serial to a conventional RS232 port because RS2 ports are becoming
scare and in either case you need to add a chip - either a Serial USB
converter, or a level converter.

As to external RAM ... on the Xylo with the current FPGA code we're using
40k out of the 60k bits in the FPGA.  Most of the bits are used for FIFOs
between the A/D and D/A converters and the FX2 USB transmit/receive
FIFOs  (4kbytes on the PC->FPGA side, 1kbytes on the FPGA->PC side).    It
looks like the Ozy FPGA  has about 120k bits of RAM so in theory we're OK
for 2 Janus boards going thru the Ozy.

Since we'll be able to to do the setup and config of the FX2 USB FIFOs  we
may not need as much FIFO space on an Ozy solution.  Also as long as we
stick with sampling data rates that are integral multiples of each other
(ie 1 frame sent per frame received,  1 frame sent per 2 frames received
etc)  we may not need as much FIFO space -- the case we ran into the need
for large FIFO space was when we needed to send on non integral multiples
of the receive frame rate

Given the uncertainty in how much FIFO space we will need to maintain
glitch free audio, I'm a bit nervous on how scarce the RAM bits may
become.  so keeping some capability for an external RAM at this point seems
to be a good idea.   If we never populate it great, the 32 pins can be used
for other things.

Another thing to look at to see if we will need the external RAM is the
USRP -- does it have any?  Anyone know how much of the FPGA RAM the USRP is
using?   I have one - will try and look into to it over the weekend.

Regards,

Bill