[hpsdr] [OZY] QFP or BGA?

Christopher T. Day CTDay at lbl.gov
Thu May 11 08:24:49 PDT 2006

I also vote no.

	Chris - AE6VK

-----Original Message-----
From: Lyle Johnson [mailto:kk7p at wavecable.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 8:23 AM
To: Philip Covington
Cc: HPSDR List
Subject: Re: [hpsdr] [OZY] QFP or BGA?

> Let's have a yes/no vote on using BGAs in the HPSDR project.

Let me register a NO!

---------------------

---------------------
> I intend to use the Cyclone II EP2C5 on the OZY board.  I am running
> out of I/O pins with the QFP208 part unless I disconnect some of the
> FX2 lines from the FPGA.
>
> The QFP208 package (in the current OZY schematic) gives me around 142
> I/O.  If we bumped up to the BGA256 package it looks like I get around
> 158 I/O lines (16 more).

Drop the RAM.  Keep the FX2 and the ATLAS wiring in place.

> The QFP208 package EP2C5Q208C8 is $13.90/qty 1 Digikey
>
> The BGA256 EP2C5F256C8 is $14.90/qty 1 Digikey
>
> Another alternative is the EP2C8 part with more LE/RAM/ETC...:
>
> EP2C8Q208C8 in QFP208 with 138 I/O is $20.30/qty 1 Digikey <-less I/O,
> not a real choice>

Unless we *need* the extra FPGA fabric.

> EP2C8F256C8 is BGA256 with 182 I/O is $23.50/qty 1 Digikey
>
> 73 de Phil N8VB
>
> P.S. Eventually we will have to deal with the BGA/CSP/QFN packages.
> The LTC2208, for example, only comes in the 64 lead QFN package.

But QFN, while leadless, have soldering points around the periphery
where, though awkward, you can still hand solder with an iron.  I
*think* many CSP parts are also this way.  We should avoid such packages

where we can, and deal with them where we must.  But I really can't see
how to reliably deal with BGA  -- yes, I have a toaster oven :-)

73,

Lyle KK7P

HPSDR Discussion List
To post msg: hpsdr at hpsdr.org