[hpsdr] [OZY] QFP or BGA?

Eric Ellison ecellison at comcast.net
Thu May 11 16:01:50 PDT 2006

Lyle et.al.

I figgred I'd jump in here before I read further in the follow on messages.
In Phil_C's last message replying to Phil_H's requests he asked "Where is
the Excedrin?"

Where is Alex when you need a cold blanket? He's in the frey!

We have an explosion of Talent, Projects, Designs, Parts, Questions,
Manufacture options, FPGA's or CPLD's on every board BGA's yea/nay, and sort
of an atmosphere of pleasurable Chaos! I for one am really having fun
gorging on datasheets and, like Chris trying to catch my breath and survive
the dizziness. The recent contributions and Projects like Gibralter sort of
insure that the initial concept of motherboard - project board will survive
and the excitement prevail. I did sort of expect this to happen!

However, I think it's time to step back and do what Alex suggested, and take
an overall look! Just with the projects proposed I see multiple assembled
finished products, from a TAC to a Quad 2 input Codec for connecting 4 high
quality low cost Softrocks. The Atlas will allow that, and a buss design in
a lot of recent stand alone products has prevented 'lower' cost
experimentation.

In the ancient days of this project laced with Mythology, about 2 months
ago, I asked Phil_C why he needed a FPGA when we had one on the proposed
Lionheart? (Now Ozy) He gave perfectly logical answer and truly justifies
the use of a second FPGA for down conversion. My hope at the time was that
we would leverage the distributed resources of the buss structure on
different cards. It is STILL my hope that we do this.

Without dropping back a little and considering the overall resources
exploiting the integrated environment I fear that we are headed for some
rather chaotic trouble. Let's not end up with a bunch of stand alone
projects sitting on a connector on a buss whose main purpose is to supply
power.

The power of this project, whether Phil_C, and I want to play with PLC's, or
sequencers and the like, is well though out distributed resources from the
Atlas. I fear 4 USB ports, 3 Serial Ports, Multiple GPS inputs etc.

Dunno but this is fun, and it's nice to see the abundance of messages again.
I'm in it for keeps no matter what. Since I am a closet Time-Nut I see an
Atlas>Ozy>Gibralter just for TAC with 10 - (13) or so precision. Another
Atlas for sound card elimination for SDR-1000. Since I promised myself some
test equipment so another Atlas with a Ozy and a Mercury!

Let's INTEGRATE!

Eric - AA4SW