[hpsdr] High Accuracy Timing for HPSDR

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at comcast.net
Fri May 12 06:43:24 PDT 2006

Alex wrote:
> GIBRALTAR is the perfect name for the board. I agree that we are on the verge of a design.
>
> Here's a potential issue
>
> Steve, your design has a header for the SiRF daughterboard?  Wouldn't we have clearance problems with the card spacing on ATLAS if GIBRALTAR is installed in anything other than slot 6 (opposite end from power connector)? The answer might simply be only install GIBRALTAR in slot 6.
>
> Bob, What GPS engine is AMSAT using? Are you using the SiRF units?\

This is really an aggravating question.  I will bore you with some
history.  Tom Clark (K3IO) and Rick Hambly (W2GPS) helped Sirf produce
the worlds best timing receiver.  They did it openly and the end result
was that someone bought Sirf in my OPINION to squash that effort.  What
these two friends wanted was to be able to buy the receiver they helped
produce.  There are numerous papers where you can see the implications
of this at www.gpstime.com.  Tom is the 2nd president of AMSAT and its
current president emeritus and "chief scientist".  Rick is the
president.    I HOPE Sirf does come out with the receiver and that it
incorporates good stuff.   Tom came up with a neat idea and Rick
implemented it in his CNS clock II.  ALL sawtooth error,  with its "mean
zero but large local deviations" problems is removed in an approach done
in this clock down to truly small variance "nearly gaussian" noise.  CNS
produces the CNS-II and in my opinion, is the single best clock of its
type in existence and it is under $3,000 if you buy every option the
table.   It has a 10 MHz output that with a FIVE DOLLAR TCXO produces
one part in 10^12 accuracy!  With the one hundred dollar TCXO,  we have
not found the bottom yet.   I helped design those tracking algorithms
because I need the clock professionally.  Now let's see,  the president
emeritus, the president and the VP engineering all are involved in using
a particular approach to taking GPS and making superaccurate clocks and
references at "bargain prices" (compared to the alternatives).  ;-). I
suspect that we will in the end, roll our own and use Motorola or Sirf
or whatever receiver allows the best final results which requires:
publication of the sawtooth error, publication of oscillator frequency
and phase numbers to allow DGPS,  and modification of the issuance of
the 1 pps to be emitted a fixed and known amount of time early.  The
Motorola receiver does that.  I like the cyclone II but on the timing
board, based on Steve's current implementation of Luis work,  the Max II
is cheaper and is not nearly full.  We don't need the hardware
multipliers that are on the Cyclone II.  Frankly,  my opinion is that
the basic design of Reflock,  Reflock II, and Gibraltar as a variation
such not break what works unless someone can think of a real reason to
"fix what ain't broken".