[hpsdr] What can we do with 2 cards

Eric Ellison ecellison at comcast.net
Sat May 13 04:44:18 PDT 2006

Bill et.al.

This is a really good point, and is indeed how this all started with my
simple 'e-mail' list of folks interested in the Xylo Project. I don't think
we should lose sight of these objectives. Nor do I think we should 'short'
any of the other project boards which have come forth as a result of the
buss structure. Indeed it is how you and Phil are using the Xylo board
without Atlas.

Hang me for heresy!

I suggested the buss structure even back in the PIC project as a way to add
distributed features without duplicating effort and keeping hardware in
'logical' blocks. It also allows for a great testing ground. However the
opposite is true. The buss is just an extension to merge 2 or more circuit
boards. At the rate which Lyle, Phil_C and others seem to be able to
reconfigure and update PCB and schematic layout and design. I would propose
that this 2 board Universal Station Accessory, once proven (which you have
essentially already done) be merged into a single board product for the
SDR-1000. Even Gerald might want to be involved in that. I think sales have
been very good and there are probably 1000 or more 1000's out there.
Obviously there are some differences in layout when if this is done, but I
don't think they would be that major. The Janus in it's current proposed
state is still also needed for the Mercury etc.

I think there are a number of examples and possibilities like this after
they are evolved on the Atlas. The Gibralter is probably a good example of
something which could be 'merged' in this way.

Dunno, but I agree with your RFC here! Perhaps we can discuss fundamentals
like this if we get enough show up on Teamspeak tonight.

Thanks
Eric