[hpsdr] What can we do with 2 cards

Bill Tracey bill at ewjt.com
Sat May 13 09:06:26 PDT 2006

Interesting question - is  building our own SDR  _THE_ primary goal of the
project., or is it _A_primary goal of the project (ugh - I sound like a
management guy now -multiple primary goals!)?  Perhaps the primary goal is
to build a flexible set of boards and infrastructure that can be plugged
together to:

         1 - build our own SDR - standalone or with a PC
         2 - integrate and enhance an existing SDR   (the SDR 1000)
         3 - glue together existing SDR fragments (SoftRocks, DDS boards,
filter boards, amps etc)

In my mind I think we're trying to support 1, 2, and 3.  I sort of see #2
and #3 as waypoints on the 1 to getting to #1.   I do not know what the
expectation is of the 100+ folks that have expressed interest in the
Atlas.   I think the perception among at least some of the folks expressing
interest in the Atlas is that Ozy+Janus+Atlas would be able to do the
single USB cable from radio to computer that folks have wanted to get for
the SDR 1000.

I do not know if we should accept O+J+A=SDR1000 enhancement as a
requirement for the design or not.  I do believe I'd like to see the O+J+A
combo have some capability for I/O to the external world to be able to
handle #3 and parts of #2.

My comments are not intended as criticism of the Ozy design in anyway --
I'm happy with how it's coming together.  I think we're having the standard
'what are the real requirements' type discussions projects have when going
from concept to actual detailed design.   Nothing like trying to write it
down to clarify what in the heck one is trying to do.

Regards,

Bill