[hpsdr] JTAG explanation and sample code

kd5nwa at cox.net kd5nwa at cox.net
Sat May 13 09:43:12 PDT 2006

The Xylo is what they are using for the prototypes, and they use the
same kind of chips in the final product. So if you want to follow along
you need a board that uses the Cyclone or Cyclone II chips. On a board
like that I  prefer the most powerful chip possible within my budget so
I can play with other things besides audio/ham projects.

On the other hand, I also own Xilinx based boards and I like those
boards better, more bang for the buck. I currently own one with 500K
bytes of 10 ns ram and 1 million gates, I use it to play with CPU
architecture.

After I get my SDR-1000 bought this summer I will be purchasing the big
daddy Xilinx board using the Virtix II chips for $300, for video/CPU
playing around projects. It has 30K Lu's, 186 multipliers, 250K bytes of
internal RAM, up to 2G bytes of external RAM, 2 Power PC CPU's, 24bit
XVGA video hardware, Stereo sound IN/Out ports, serial ATA ports,
Keyboard and Mouse ports...etc.

With something like that and a Janus board, does one really need a PC?