[hpsdr] What can we do with 2 cards

Eric Ellison ecellison at comcast.net
Sat May 13 11:45:56 PDT 2006

Dang!

What does the Jason do?

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: hpsdr-bounces at hpsdr.org [mailto:hpsdr-bounces at hpsdr.org] On Behalf Of
Robert McGwier
Sent: Saturday, May 13, 2006 2:39 PM
To: kd5nwa at cox.net
Cc: HPSDR List
Subject: Re: [hpsdr] What can we do with 2 cards

It does not need to be that complicated unless you want it to be that
complicated.  My opinion is that we are seeing the natural fall out of
people realizing that Atlas was the right first step.  It gave them a
way to do myriad things and share the design trials and tribulations
with this 'incubator group'.  No one has to do it all.  I do not think
everyone should rush out and get every board until and unless you
actually know what you are going to do with it.  Insofar as this advice
goes,  Cecil and I agree.  The "Whole Magilla"  is not for everyone.

On the other hand:

If you want N channels of phased arrays on 435 MHz,  2.3-2.4 GHz,  and
5.6 GHz,  I suggest you need to (more than one each) OZY, Mercury,
Sasquatch, and a Gibraltar for phase coherent oscillators, the Sasquatch
running control algorithms, and you had better plan on some RF talent in
front of it.  With the huge memories in our computers and the 160 meter
band being only (effectively) 100-150 kHz wide,  we can do a four square
without phasing lines (we will need a little TDL because 100000/1800000
 > 0.01 so we cannot just pseudo steer with oscillators).

If you want an envelope elimination and restoration transmitter,  you
probably are going to want an Sasquatch,  maybe Jason,  and you better
know how to build a Class E amplifier chain and a class S modulator
chain (switching power supply,  pulse width modulators, etc.) and then
hope we can predistort the phase and modulator channels in Sasquatch to
make everything very linear (or not if you want nonlinear).

I am not saying this stuff for any reason other than to show how I would
use the stuff as an example if "things go right".   If you don't have
this level of specificity in your requirements, then you probably don't
need all this stuff until more algorithms are done and some assembly
experience is acquired because there is quite a bit of difference in the
all powerful super capable,   show stopping wonder and amazement at
fancy news toys and having them actually do it.  I would not buy Atlas,
OZY, Mercury, Gibraltar,   Sasquatch and a few hundred dollars in
REQUIRED assembly tools (minimum) and then be prepared to sit and stare
at it in wonder and amazement while you await some other coding wizard
to do the job.  Assembling these boards is not going to be for the
average ham with the now average age approaching shaking hands, fading
memories, and failing eyesight (everyone else is just catching up to me
;-) ).  This is fun but there are quite a few hours of work to make this
useful.

Bob

Now, I am not saying this

kd5nwa at cox.net wrote:

> That was the original plan, a two board system to connect to a SDR
> transceiver, but it's gotten too complicated since then, that why I
> bailed out. Soon at the rate it's going, you going to need 4 to five
> boards to run the radio, that will be rather an expensive solution to a
> simple problem. With a two board system, you can still add other boards
> for more specialized projects, but boys love they complicated toys.
>
> Good luck.

HPSDR Discussion List
To post msg: hpsdr at hpsdr.org