[hpsdr] pcb/schematic files and Kicad

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Sun May 14 10:49:17 PDT 2006

On 5/13/06, Richard Hosking <richardh at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Dear all
> (begging your forbearance for the questions)
>
> I note the various files have been posted in pdf format
> I am using Kicad as a great open source pcb program - I understand the
> main drafters here are also
> Is it possible to have the current drafts in Kicad format so anyone
> reviewing/commenting can open the file in the program directly? (or are
> other PCB programs being used?)
>
> Thanks
> Richard VK6BRO

Hi Richard,

I started out doing the OZY design in Kicad and did a initial PCB
layout.   There are two things about Kicad that made the decision on
whether to continue using it: 1. The autorouter absolutely sucks, 2. I
don't yet trust the design rules checks enough to feel good about
releasing a board without going over it will a fine tooth comb in an
external gerber viewer.

For a much simpler board I would not hesitate to use Kicad.

I have access to a licensed copy of Mentor Graphics PADs.  That is
what I am using now.  I can generate PDF schematic files and the
gerbers will always be available.  I think Lyle is using ORCAD for the
JANUS.

73 de Phil N8VB