[hpsdr] Some HPSDR Updates

Steven Bible n7hpr at tapr.org
Tue May 16 19:50:59 PDT 2006

[snip]

> 12:00 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.
> SOFTWARE DEFINED RADIO - GROUNDSWELL TO TIDAL WAVE
>
> Moderator: Eric Ellison, AA4SW, V31SR
> Ever since Gerald Youngblood K5SDR published a series of articles in QEX
> magazine and offered the first, off the shelf SDR transceiver, Ham's
> worldwide have been forging ahead into the "Future of Radio". Although not
> the only exploration into SDR, at that time, the SDR-1000 and GPL PowerSDR
> open source code has been a major engine to spur new exploration.
> Once again hams are at the very leading edge of radio.

[snip]

I must say Eric, that SDR experimentation was way before Gerald's QEX
articles.  If you check out the ARRL's TIS SDR web page at

   http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/sdr.html

I wrote this for Ed and the lab rats.  These are the articles that I culled
from ARRL publications that show early SDR experimentation.  The problem was
that the ARRL insisted on calling these projects "DSP Radio" and not
software radio.

Rob Frohne, KL7NA, in his article "A High-Performance, Single-Signal,
Direct-Conversion Receiver with DSP Filtering", in QST April 1998, pp. 40-43
comes as the earliest that was a software radio project.  In 1999 Bob Larkin
W7PUA writes about his DSP-10.  The DSP-10 was Bob's third attempt.  He
actually writes about his first two attempts in Microwave Updates.  Over 300
DSP-10 kits were sold and many taking part in their first software (defined)
radio experience.

What is also most interesting is to look at the code base both gentlemen
used: it was Johan Forrer, KC7WW's article "Using the Motorola DSP56002EVM
for Amateur Radio DSP Projects," in QEX Aug 1996, pp 12-20.  Even Johan's
work was based upon the work of the Finish Alef Null Group (Jarkko Vuori,
OH2LNS, Kaj Wiik, OH6EH, and others) that started coding in 1992.  Here are
some web pages that document these fellows work:

   http://www.tapr.org/kits_evm56k.html

   http://www.tapr.org/dsp_dsp4.html

The first that I read about Software Radio was the May 1995 IEEE
Communications Magazine.  Many of the articles authored by Joe Mitola.  This
issue comes up most often when researching about software radio.

Let's not forget the earliest work that these people have done.  They are
the one's that have got us to where we are today.

73,

- Steve, N7HPR
 (n7hpr at tapr.org)