[hpsdr] Some HPSDR Updates

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at comcast.net
Tue May 16 21:59:09 PDT 2006

In 1987-8,  using Dalanco Spry boards, Tom Clark and I did a software
dsp system to do "echo mode" EME and successfully did echo capture with
100w to small antennas on both ends on 70cm.  I wrote a demodulator for
it to turn PSK from Microsat's into FSK that could be read by a standard
TNC!  We started the AMSAT/TAPR DSP project one year later in 1988.
There was just not enough horsepower in the TMS320C10 ISA slot boards to
do the FEC one needs to make a communications system for EME and we
wanted more horsepower.  I got gold fever and allowed the project to
languish while I tried to get rich on ham radio against everyone's
advice (what a laugh) as well as becoming AVP Eng for AMSAT and helping
to put together the Microsat's so the project fell into idle until
Strickland et.al. picked up the AMSAT/TAPR project and ran with it in
1993. It was really an all TAPR project after that for the most part.
In 1989  while I was designing the DSP-1232 and 2232 with Brooks and Pat
for AEA,  Tom Clark and I went to Mike Lamb and George Buxton and
proposed a "smartradio"  playing off of "smartmodem" with the back end
based on the DSP smartmodem (DSP2232).    I still have the design
documents buried someplace in the dungeon where I go put myself on the
rack every now and then for not figuring out how to follow through on
the ideas.  How I wish I had written down the term software radio in
1989 when I proposed it to them.  Mitola wrote his papers in 1991.   We
proposed an IQ last stage at low bandwidths and agc of the front end
controlled by the dsp.  We were going to use the DSP-56000 family and
some expensive (woooooooo) 14 bit parts.   It was on track but George
developed lymphoma and eventually succumbed.  AEA never recovered from
that loss and the project was never done as AEA suffered from extremely
unsuccessful management after Mike went into seclusion following
George's death.   Rick Hambly and his crew at Harris RF did a software
defined RF modem after studying HF propagation for a while even earlier
(Rick's group did the 39 tone modem).  I later went to work for ARINC on
contract (1991) to produce the "satellite ACARS" for Rick.  I kicked the
can down the road and they finished the system.  SDR has been around
forever and not one of us here or mentioned elsewhere was close to
first.  Mitola coined two terms which might be his only truly
significant contribution but ones that will long outlive him: Software
Defined Radio and  Cognitively Defined Radio.   I can't really
complain.  It all developed into a 15 year long heck of a run with my
current employer and then Gerald came along.   Things are hugely
different now.   None of this would be going anywhere near the pace it
is were it not for fast general purpose computers doing DSP and running
fancy,  indeed unbelievable design tools now which are almost free to do
the embedded work.   The "use the PC" approach coupled with the QSD are
Gerald's contributions to this.  GnuRadio was doing SDR in the PC before
it, but the "almost standard transceiver" in the SDR-1000 is clearly the
tipping point.  I hear big time contesters, and many others believing
they are owning their last conventional radio.  This is the important
fact that I am sure was Eric's intention: not that Gerald was first, but
that to a large degree  he caused the explosion of SDR in main stream
consciousness in ham radio.  Indeed,  SDR and even the ARRL SDR
committee existed before Gerald.  But,  irrespective of the fine work
done before  the current boom is in fact attributable to the SDR-1000
because it brought it to a usable state by the non developer amateur.

The best we could do 20 years ago was produce an Edsel and the stuff 10
years ago seems like a Corvair in comparison.

I am out of town the rest of the week and I hope to see some of you in
Dayton where I will be on the weekend.  I am at the AMSAT booth or some
of the TAPR or SDR talks.

http://eet.com/disruption/interviews/mitola.jhtml

Bob

--- snip ----