[hpsdr] **replay of Sat night Flex announcement at Dayton**

Alex harvilchuck at yahoo.com
Mon May 22 09:26:22 PDT 2006

Bob,
Thanks for the information it is a lot of good information than we had before (especially for the folks who were not at Dayton).
I agree with you that there is a distinction between what each group is heading.

I believe HPSDR is taking the open software / open hardware approach. This type of activity has worked in the past to develop a significant number of innovations. There is a business model that works in the open environment - you charge for packaging and for service-after-the-sale for those folks who don't like directly using open source products.

Personally I would urge Flex-Radio to extend the open model to the hardware, not just the software.

With that said, there's room for everyone (Flex-radio, HPSDR, USRP, uWSDR) who wants to build a better mousetrap.
Some groups will work closer together than others, some work close in certain areas, but not in others. No value judgements are made.

So I'm ready to keep plugging along HPSDR so long as everyone realizes that the end result is to build a top-notch SDR, but that we will strive to provide a way for the SDR-1000 owners to take advantage of the work we are doing (since there are a number of them out there).

Alex, N3NP