[hpsdr] **replay of Sat night Flex announcement at Dayton**

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at comcast.net
Mon May 22 11:14:03 PDT 2006

Alex wrote:
> Bob,
> Thanks for the information it is a lot of good information than we had before (especially for the folks who were not at Dayton).
> I agree with you that there is a distinction between what each group is heading.
>
> I believe HPSDR is taking the open software / open hardware approach. This type of activity has worked in the past to develop a significant number of innovations. There is a business model that works in the open environment - you charge for packaging and for service-after-the-sale for those folks who don't like directly using open source products.
>
> Personally I would urge Flex-Radio to extend the open model to the hardware, not just the software.

I am not a Flex employee or a stock holder or a spokesman for Flex and I
support their right to make whatever decision they wish to make here.
So long as the source is open, I can live with any decision they make on
the hardware.
> With that said, there's room for everyone (Flex-radio, HPSDR, USRP, uWSDR) who wants to build a better mousetrap.
> Some groups will work closer together than others, some work close in certain areas, but not in others. No value judgements are made.

We are ALL aiming in the same direction and that is to take back our
hobby from the mundane, appliance oriented mess that it has become and
to do exciting work.  I have never been so excited in amateur radio and
that includes the years that led to me winning the Dayton Technical of
the year in 1990. This time is more exciting than that and more
meaningful to me personally and professionally.

> So I'm ready to keep plugging along HPSDR so long as everyone realizes that the end result is to build a top-notch SDR, but that we will strive to provide a way for the SDR-1000 owners to take advantage of the work we are doing (since there are a number of them out there).

Including me.  I have two radios at home.  The Elecraft K2 I built and
will never sell and the Flex Radio SDR-1000.