[hpsdr] External connectors on JANUS

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Thu May 25 17:23:47 PDT 2006

> Are you replacing the jacks with a DB15 or DB25 when you are relaying the board out?

In a word, no.

The balanced audio (QSD) input is a 5-pin Molex header, the rest of the
jacks are 3.5mm, all as shown on the schematic.

If you want to use a DB25, DE15, XLRs, etc., you can simply leave the
connectors off the board, mount the connector of your choice to the
bracket which you'll have to supply, and then wire the connector to the
pads on the PCB in your preferred pinout.

Examining the schematic and the old board layout, you will see there are
several different grounding issues to contend with for all of these
analog ins and outs.  The QSD and QSE may be on separate boards, for
example, and the line in and line out might go to a PC or ???  A single
connector makes this much more difficult to manage.

I find connectors are an emotional issue.  I am perfectly happy with
3.5mm for most things. I agree they are a terrible choice for the
connection between a QSD and an ADC; that is why the 5-pin balanced
Molex connector is on the board.

If Phil H directs that they be changed, I will do so.  He is the project
leader for the hardware on Janus.  Meanwhile, I have the new layout
about 60% complete, and hope to finish it tonight sometime.

73,

Lyle KK7P