[hpsdr] High Accuracy Timing for HPSDR

Rick Hambly (W2GPS) w2gps at cnssys.com
Sat May 27 12:06:54 PDT 2006

Neil,

Locking to 10K PPS does not provide all the benefits you would expect
because of the statistics of the 10K PPS signal.  That fact killed a "black
project" that Tom and I worked on a while ago. Locking to 1PPS is not more
difficult than locking to the 10K PPS and the Jupiter is an old design.
There are new receivers on the horizon that will all be 1PPS.

Yes, the best locking solutions (including mine) are proprietary, but we may
be able to get past that with some thought or policy flexibility. We should
decide what oscillator (and clock) characteristics are important and design
to meet them. I have some ideas that I will share later.

Rick

W2GPS

AMSAT LM2232

  _____