[hpsdr] High Accuracy Timing for HPSDR

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at comcast.net
Sat May 27 12:59:54 PDT 2006

The typical 10K outputs are locked to the 1pps which has large
excursions of error due to sawtooth error large deviations. BUT, large
depends on who you are and what your applications might be. Most people
here are not trying to go for separated clocks to agree within 2 ns! For
most, the accuracy derived from using the 10K pps output from a motorola
receiver (or other source) is more than accurate and stable enough for
our purposes here. I would prefer to use a source with no excursions if
I were going to lock an LO to use in a 47 GHz transverter, well then I
might care about these excursions. The 10 K pps signal, driving a
Gibraltar based reflock will be better than most TCXO's in HF
transceivers today and by a lot.

Bob