[hpsdr] JANUS BoM

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Sun May 28 15:16:58 PDT 2006

Hello Steve!

> The DS2431P is used for board identification, correct?  What about using a
> I2C serial eeprom instead as they are more common than the 1-Wire(r) parts.
> I know that there is an 8 device limit in the addressing.

The DS2431P has the advantage of a 64-bit unique ID in each part, as
well as limited EEPROM storage.  We considered the use of I2C EEPROMs
early on.  The 8 device limit, the fact that we might have additional
I2C devices on the boards, the possibility there might be multiple
instances of one board type in an ATLAS backplane, and the possibility
of a larger ATLAS backplane with more slots in the future led us to the
1-wire parts.  It was not an easy decision, given the relatively high
cost and limited availability of the parts.

73,

Lyle KK7P