[hpsdr] Dual Synthesizer

Brian D. Comer brian at kf6c.com
Thu Nov 9 06:51:28 PST 2006

Hi All

I need 640 MHz and 100 MHz for my 10 GHz rig. I have been looking at various
ways to do this including using two of the REFLOCK II boards and various
demo boards. These are not the hardest of frequencies to generate but as the
640 MHz has to be multiplied by 16 so its phase noise has to be quite good.
I am tending towards building a synthesizer using two standard T paged VCOs
and an LMX 2485 loaded by a CPLD.

It seams that this could be a useful board for many other applications
including the LO generation for SDRs. In the case of low IF radios the lower
frequency synthesizer could be made to tune an octave at some VHF frequency
and divided by the CPLD to give the necessary coverage. The higher frequency
synthesizer could be used for down converting higher bands to the SDR
frequencies.

Specifically for my initial application I am looking at using a Sirenza CRO
190-1280T vco, with a 1240 to 1320 MHz tuning range, divided by 2 for the
640 MHz.

I would like to know if there are others who would be interested in a board
similar to this. I am a newcomer to the HPSDR group and so far have only
looked on from the outside, other than having our 6 year old build Atlas and
Pinocchio boards.

73 Brian KF6C  G3ZVC