[hpsdr] Janus & Ozy.

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Sat Nov 11 17:58:55 PST 2006

> But since several people on this list have a general idea of what the
> cost is going to be, rather than casting dispersion they aught to state
> if that information I saw is way off base, I would love for it to be so.

As would we all :-)

If I knew what the price was going to be, I would say so.  But I don't,
and at this point *no one* does.

The price will be determined by:

1) PCB cost.  This is unknown since the quantity to be purchased is not
known, and the final Gerber files have to be created, which won't happen
until at least some Alpha 2 Janus boards are built and verified.

2) Parts cost.  The $30 quoted in a June estimate by someone here on the
list was based on an incomplete BOM, and did not include the A/D
converter which itself is in the $10 to $20 range nor the PC board.
Coupled into this is the quantity at which price breaks occur, and
minimum order levels for certain components.  Again, until Alpha 2 is
working, the BOM won't be finalized, so the costing cannot be completed.

3) Assembly labor cost.  Unknown.  We've had two "ballpark" estimates
which differ greatly.  This has to be nailed down, and will be once the
Alpha 2...

4) Testing cost.  This will likely be done by volunteers, but this
requires shipping product to the testing location(s), and then from the
testing location(s) to the distribution point, so there are costs
involved even if the labor is donated.  As well as one-time costs to get
the test jigs built and tested.

5) Markup. Yes, TAPR is non-profit (which simply means there are no
stockholders), but there are costs that must be covered and
contingencies that must be accounted for.  TAPR will have spent well
over $2,000 to get the Janus and Ozy through Alpha 2.  They also have to
front the manufacturing set up fees, float the capital from parts
ordering through product shipment, set aside funds for further R and D
expense (Mercury, Horton, Phoenix, etc.).

Since items 1-5 are all unknown (which is different than undisclosed),
it is impossible to state what the price will be for Janus, Ozy or any
other portion of HPSDR that isn't ready for production.

One nice thing about this project is that if the price seems excessive,
people can do a group buy of components and assemble things themselves.
  Bare boards will be offered, and the Gerber files are and will be
available for PCBs to be made.

At the TAPR Annual Meeting, some people were pressing for a number.  No
one had sufficient information to provide one for the reasons listed
above.  $500 was tossed out as a likely upper limit to satisfy those who
demanded a preliminary figure and would not stop asking until they got one.

The simple fact that is that the cost, and therefore the price, was (and
remains) unknown.

SPECULATION

I think it is reasonable to expect that the price for Janus + Ozy will
be more than $200 and less than $500.  And I suspect the numbers will be
known in the next few weeks.  And I could be wrong on both speculations.

Now, I need to get back to assembling the first Janus Alpha 2 board so
we can get closer to finding out the cost!

73,

Lyle KK7P