[hpsdr] Janus & Ozy.

KD5NWA kd5nwa at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 11 20:32:02 PST 2006

Philip Covington wrote:
> On 11/11/06, KD5NWA <kd5nwa at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Certain parties being me, stated that an email from someone else said it
>> was going to cost $500 for the pair, I hoped that it would not.
>>
>> But since several people on this list have a general idea of what the
>> cost is going to be, rather than casting dispersion they aught to state
>> if that information I saw is way off base, I would love for it to be so.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Cecil
>> KD5NWA
>> www.qrpradio.com www.hpsdr.com
>
> No matter who you heard it from it is *speculation* because no one has
> complete data yet on the costs.  I can tell you that the goal of HPSDR
> is *not* to see how cheaply we can make these things - performance
> will take precedence over cost (that is why it is called (H)IGH
> (P)ERFORMANCE SDR).   Otherwise we would be another SoftRock40 group
> and one is enough.
>
> Lyle's estimate of over $200 and less than $500 is about the best
> anyone can estimate at this point.  As it has been said before, if
> that price range gives you heart burn there is always the option of
> doing a group buy of boards and parts - those who can't solder certain
> parts could beg, barter, or pay someone to do it for them.
>
> I can also say that unless you plan on building a lot of surface mount
> projects for yourself, it will be much easier to just buy an assembled
> board than to invest in the items required to do the SMT assembly for
> just a project or two.  Many people seriously underestimate the time
> involved in getting stuff like this together.
>
> Phil N8VB

There sure seems to be the situation here of making a mountain out of
mole hill, someone asked if there was an idea of what the cost would be,
I said I've heard that it would be around $500 for the pair. A lot of
people are sure getting bent out of shape over that. What does that
mean? Something personal maybe? There are a lot of petty people in this
world and only the Shadow knows!

By the way my heartburn is doing fine , actually I'm laughing at this
whole thing, as to others who can say.

I'm still laughing, life is great.
--

Cecil
KD5NWA
www.qrpradio.com www.hpsdr.com

"Sacred Cows make the best Hamburger!"	Don Seglio Batuna