[hpsdr] Starter question

Bill Tracey bill at ewjt.com
Mon Nov 13 21:53:18 PST 2006

Hi Bob, .

Initially (actually probably forever) one should be able to use Ozy+Janus
to get audio samples in/out of the PC and use the existing SDR 1000 control
interface (Parallel port or USB adapter).    Further down the road we plan
to implement the control functions in the FX2 and the FPGA on Ozy.  We've
checked the hardware is capable (I've tuned the DDS via Ozy in a bit bang
style), but need to do some FX2 microcode and perhaps some FPGA work to get
a higher level non bit bang interface similar to the existing SDR 1000 USB
adapter.   The SDR 1000 control should not need any additional hardware
other than Ozy+Janus.

What software are you looking to write?   At the moment we've got a
modified PowerSDR  (1.6.1 and now a 1.6.3 tree) in the HPSDR SVN that works
with Ozy+Janus for  audio in/out, CW keying and PTT.   The 1.6.1 tree is
also the one I'm using for SoftRock xmit support - still need to get that
working on the 1.6.3 tree.   As to documentation - we have the code,
schematics,  in SVN and some rather limited notes on how the current SDR
1000 USB adapter works.  Phil H also has a document of the protocol between
Ozy/Janus and the PC on the USB bus  -- I don't think this is in SVN at the
moment - we should get it there.   There's also some documentation on the
hpsdr.org wiki.   More doco  would be good - however we seem to do that as
needed.  Always willing to try and answer questions though.

One thing to be aware of with Ozy+Janus is that we do not look like a sound
card to Windows, so we won't be able to talk to generic sound card
programs.   This may get fixed in the future if someone does a sound card
driver - think a couple of people have proposed doing this, don't think
there's any code behind it as yet..  I suspect I'll (eventually) do an LGPL
version of the and interface library so Ozy+Janus can be used with other
non GPL SDR programs -- I know Albertom I2PHD (author of Winrad, SDRadio,
and others) has expressed interest in such a library.

Glad you're interested - thing we're going to have a fun project.  Alpha 2
round of boards is in process now and hopefully this will be the last of
the Alpha's and the next will be production.   I need to get done with some
of this Janus/Ozy stuff to find some time to go learn Erlang!

Cheers,

Bill (kd5tfd)