[hpsdr] New RF Digitizer

Nyall Davies nyalldavies at ukonline.co.uk
Tue Nov 14 02:01:21 PST 2006

COMPARISON OF SDR-IQ with HPSDR
The signal noise ratio of the fast AD converters does not allow the full use
of all the bits. The extra bits in the AD should mean that the quantization
loss in the AD can be ignored - it should provide its own dither noise.

The picture of the SDR-IQ shows that it uses the AD6620 which comprises the
digital mixer and set of CIC filters. The processing gain the AD6620 is such
that 23 bits are required at its output
I cannot see what AD it uses but we have to assume that it is the AD6645.
This part has a S/N ratio around 74dB
It states that the sampling is done at 67MHz (the max spec of the AD6620)
If we are using the LTC2207 sampling at 100MHz - it has a quoted S/N of 78.2
dB so we are better due to the AD SN by 4.2dB
If we sample at 100 MHz we gain 10 log(100/67) dB of processing gain =1.739
dB

So we can expect a performance 4.2 +1.7 = 5.9dB better than the SDR-IQ

It has been suggested to me that we Linear tech can supply a device to
sample at higher rates say 150MHz so we may, depending on the S/N of this
device, be able to gain another 1.7dB

Nyall G8IBR