[hpsdr] New RF Digitizer

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Tue Nov 14 08:19:22 PST 2006

> One advantage that the SDR-IQ has is that it is powered completely
> over USB which is very nice for laptops.  The power consumption of the
> LTC2208 alone will never allow this for HPSDR Mercury (BTW, the OZY
> *can be* powered by USB - this is one of the modifications made to the
> alpha 2 board).
>
> I have to say that I am *very* tempted to order the SDR-IQ... looks
> like a very nice device.  If I can convince the XYL that I need an
> early XMAS present maybe I will...;-).  I wonder when they will be
> shipping?

First 100 units get a special price, scheduled to ship in January. I put
my name in the queue last night :-)

I've found the SDR-14 to be very handy in the shack for Tx measurements
and the like.  I haven't found the limited dynamic range (see QST
Product Review , December 2005) to be an issue when I've played with it
as a general purpose receiver, but I am looking forward to Mercury with
some suitable front end filtering. I view the SDR-14 as a spectrum
analyzer that can double as a receiver; I'm hoping Mercury will be a
receiver which can double as a spectrum analyzer...

Lyle KK7P