[hpsdr] New RF Digitizer

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 08:01:45 PST 2006

On 11/14/06, Nyall Davies <nyalldavies at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello Ahti,
> 130 MHz compared with 100 gives another 1.13 dB of processing gain.
> or compared with SDR-IQ at 67 MHz   2.87 dB
> I should say that the 78.2 dB SN figure used for the LTC2207 is the
> "headline" figure and is the best achievable. Depending on the mode used and
> input frequency may not be as good as that.
> The comparison between SDR-IQ and HPSDR shows how dependant we are on the
> performance of the A/D to squeeze the odd dB.
> I see Phil N8VB has given some other advantages of the HPSDR
>
> 73 Nyall G8IBR

One advantage that the SDR-IQ has is that it is powered completely
over USB which is very nice for laptops.  The power consumption of the
LTC2208 alone will never allow this for HPSDR Mercury (BTW, the OZY
*can be* powered by USB - this is one of the modifications made to the
alpha 2 board).

I have to say that I am *very* tempted to order the SDR-IQ... looks
like a very nice device.  If I can convince the XYL that I need an
early XMAS present maybe I will...;-).  I wonder when they will be
shipping?

Phil N8VB