[hpsdr] Janus & Ozy.

Bob McGwier n4hy at idaccr.org
Tue Nov 14 08:19:42 PST 2006

Achim:

Wie geht es?

We had an overly active (and speculative) session during the TAPR annual
meeting where some unfortunate speculation was done.   This set of off
the cuff remarks has led to rampant "stuff" flowing all over the place.
NONE OF IT is based on anything real at all.   TAPR and AMSAT are not
normal business places.  This you should know well from you AMSAT-DL
work!   TAPR does not follow the "we have to charge 5 times costs to
live" model.    We are doing the alpha2 versions of Janus and Ozy now
and from my perspective,  the speculation is mostly wrong.

Now Janus, Ozy, and Atlas  taken all together might cost as much as
really good professional sound card (not $1000 but say on the order of
$500).   BUT,  if it does cost on the order of $500,  one must ask
oneself the question does it have this much value?    Since Ozy and
Atlas will be useful coupling to Mercury, and Odyssey and Sasquatch . .
. . . . . . .,     the money I put up for Ozy and Atlas to support the
Janus card must be spread across all of the applications to which I will
apply the Atlas/Ozy combination.

Any prices contained here are to be taken as examples.  They are not
based on knowledge of the actual costs.  Any real pricing numbers for
the TAPR buy will come from TAPR.  I am a member and not an officer or a
director of TAPR so all I can engage in is speculation ;-).

Bob
N4HY