[hpsdr] Starter question

Christopher T. Day CTDay at LBL.Gov
Wed Nov 15 05:39:54 PST 2006

Bob,

The way the protocol is currently designed, all the audio data and
SDR-1000-type control data are interleaved into one byte stream into Ozy
and one byte stream out. So, no, I believe you will not be able to run
these functions in separate processes easily. Part of the idea of making
the Janus/Ozy combo into a real audio card would be to separate the
control functions into separate pipes so that multiple processes could
work with the hardware as you would like. However, nothing much has come
of that effort so far. [I've been one of those pushing that idea, but
haven't managed to actually produce anything so far.] Note that this
would involve a fairly deep redesign of the firmware in the FX2 and the
CPLD/FPGA configurations.

	Chris - AE6VK

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Cowdery [mailto:Bob.Cowdery at smartlogic.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 12:31 AM
To: Bill Tracey; hpsdr at hpsdr.org
Subject: Re: [hpsdr] Starter question

> Further down the road we plan
> to implement the control functions in the FX2 and the FPGA on Ozy.
We've
> checked the hardware is capable (I've tuned the DDS via Ozy in a bit
bang
> style), but need to do some FX2 microcode and perhaps some FPGA work
to get
> a higher level non bit bang interface similar to the existing SDR 1000
USB
> adapter.   The SDR 1000 control should not need any additional
hardware
> other than Ozy+Janus.

> Bill

This may be the wrong forum but I have (probably) a dumb question on USB
interfaces. I had planned to separate things out in such a way that the
control functions and the acqisition of data would be in different
processes (OS processes). Then I thought, is it safe to assume that the
device will have different interfaces (functions) that can be safely
claimed in different processes? I have a feeling the answer is no
because it would require the device to be openned more than once or the
handle to be opaque so it can be passed between processes. I want to get
my architecture right to support the case where everything goes through
one device.

Thanks
Bob

HPSDR Discussion List