[hpsdr] Starter question

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 05:47:29 PST 2006

On 11/15/06, Christopher T. Day <CTDay at lbl.gov> wrote:

> Bob,
>
> The way the protocol is currently designed, all the audio data and
> SDR-1000-type control data are interleaved into one byte stream into Ozy
> and one byte stream out. So, no, I believe you will not be able to run
> these functions in separate processes easily. Part of the idea of making
> the Janus/Ozy combo into a real audio card would be to separate the
> control functions into separate pipes so that multiple processes could
> work with the hardware as you would like. However, nothing much has come
> of that effort so far. [I've been one of those pushing that idea, but
> haven't managed to actually produce anything so far.] Note that this
> would involve a fairly deep redesign of the firmware in the FX2 and the
> CPLD/FPGA configurations.
>

>         Chris - AE6VK

It would probably be better to set up a user mode server process that
handles access to the OZY USB device that other processes can connect
to.

I think it is a mistake to try to make OZY look like a sound card to
the system.  Right now we enjoy very low latency and overhead in
talking to the OZY via USB.  Making OZY appear as a sound card puts
more latency and overhead crud on top of what we have now.

Phil N8VB