[hpsdr] FFT benchmarking

Eric Blossom eb at comsec.com
Fri Oct 13 10:09:48 PDT 2006

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 08:48:34AM -0400, Philip Covington wrote:

> That the benchmarks were performed by the FFTW team should tell what you
> need to do.  A search on Google will give you other results performed by
> truly objective parties that show the difference is much less.
>
> Also, I am talking about the Ooura code that is being optimized by the JIT
> in .NET.  The comparisons that you linked to are statically compiled so I
> would expect FFTW's hand tuned routines to come out a little better.  The
> joy of the JIT is that it produces code that rivals hand tuned stuff like in
> FFTW.
>
> Phil N8VB

FYI, FFTW is _machine tuned_.  They have a ton of different "codelets"
and they are benchmarked on your machine for a given FFT size, stride,
memory pressure, and other resource constraints do determine what code
to run.  These codelets include different FFT strategies, such as
decimation in time, decimation in frequency, mixed radix, etc. that no
JIT compiler will ever do.

Great paper here: http://www.fftw.org/fftw-paper-ieee.pdf

That said, I have no clue about how any of this stacks up on .NET ;)

Eric K7GNU