[hpsdr] Infinite precision, phased arrays,and us

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 21:33:25 PDT 2006

Baaa.  You are doing it justice.  Believe me.  There are 100 hundred
people reading this that wanted to ask the questions and didn't.

As I said in the previous,  for a phased array in the HPSDR system,
we are not likely to use only one QSE for transmit or QSD for receive.
 We are not likely to use a single sound card.   You will need one QSD
and one sound card pair for EACH ELEMENT in the phased array and the
QSD oscillator<<S>>  must all be the same source just as the sampling
clock on the A/D's must all be derived from the same clock.   But they
are separate devices, one per element in our narrow band phased array.
  If we chose to use only one QSD and sound card, then the combing of
the elements must be done before it and there must be a phase shifter
in each antenna element.

I think you are getting there.  You are asking the right questions to
understand the system.

Bob
N4HY

At 09:41 AM 7/09/2006, Murray Lang wrote:

> What about the situation where QSE is the only "mixing" stage and I/Q is from a sound card? Where does frequency response come into it? You've only talked about word size. You seem to be saying that phase is a DC component of I/Q.

Sorry Bob, I realise that I haven't done justice to what you've
posted. I can see that the commutative nature of mixing helps but I'm
having trouble relating that to the situation I've identified above.
The only oscillator is the 4xoutput carrier and it's being modulated
by a sound card.

Murray
VK6HL