[hpsdr] Infinite precision, phased arrays,and us

Murray Lang murray.lang at metoceanengineers.com
Wed Sep 6 22:57:06 PDT 2006

Thanks again Bob,

Just to take a step backwards, this all came about from discussion in
another thread a while back where the topic of beamforming arose. At one
point I flippantly discounted controlling the RF phase shifts via I/Q but
was pulled up and reminded that with I/Q you can do anything. OK, you can
do phase modulation so why not a steady phase shift? I was uncomfortable
with it but couldn't put my finger on exactly why so I let it go. Now I'm
grabbing it back again.

Yes, I knew that their would be more than one QSD/E with synchronised
(English) clocks. I also understood that the HPSDR dudes were already
catering for synchronised clocks - it's not new. I'm just trying to
understand why the concept of achieving phase shifts via cunning
manipulation of IQ is not sitting quietly in my head.

It's one thing to shift the phase to accurately represent a modulating
audio signal, but to have such fine control as to be accurate to within a
fraction of a wavelength of the RF carrier seems to me a lot to ask of a
sound card. Consider a phase modulated signal applied to such a phase
shifted carrier. I/Q would have both shifts encoded into it: a component
accurate at AF and a component accurate at RF.

Murray
VK6HL