[hpsdr] Odyssey Siren Design

Bob McGwier n4hy at idaccr.org
Wed Sep 20 09:00:23 PDT 2006

Ahti:

The final piece of the puzzle that fit this together for Phil C, you,
etc.  and led to my laplace transform analysis of your and Phil C's
original proposals was Dan Tayloe suggesting that the QSD should be
viewed as an integrator and that the capacitors in his unbalanced design
and in Gerald's balanced QSD design were only rough approximations to
it.   The dominant terms in the Laplace transform analysis (the perfect
tool for both transient and longer term response) turned out to be
........  AN INTEGRATOR with a twist.  Your circuit has the integrator
with the twist.    Dan's comment was the first time I went "AHA!" and
was the last piece of the mental puzzle for me personally.   It was the
first time I had a Gestalt of the actual underlying theory of operation
instead of just plugging things into some simulator and fiddling around
until things looked better.    If necessary,  I can dig out the very old
note to the softrock group where Dan makes this statement.

I am certain in my own mind that you and Phil have gotten this to the
point where this can proceed to alpha test this and get circuit boards
out for full scale analysis.   Horton, Phoenix, whatever,  needs to have
this circuit closely coupled, gain/impedance matched to the follow on
A/D for noise immunity and to get the promise this circuit holds for
dynamic receiver performance.  I suggest that this is the next step.

Congrats,
Bob
N4HY