[hpsdr] Mercury

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Sat Sep 23 17:19:31 PDT 2006

Philip Covington wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> Mercury:
> If we go with the AD6636, by using a couple of 74LVC16374
> <http://www.nxp.com/pip/74LVC16374ADL.html>
> 16 bit D FFs, we can either route the ADC input to the AD6636 or
> straight to the FPGA on the Mercury board.  That way we can support
> radio mode with the AD6636 and spec/oscope mode in the FPGA.  To use
> the board just as a scope or spectrum analyzer the AD6636 would not
> have to be populated on the board.  It would also allow
> experimentation with DDC in the FPGA with a fallback to the AD6636
> otherwise.

Since these are flip-flops and not MUXes, I don't understand their use.
  Can't we just run the ADC output directly to the FPGA and to the DDC?

Do we need a larger/different family FPGA for more resources or speed to
implement a DDC?  I'm concerned that the ADI part may not have a long
life.  And of course, it is BGA...  If we are prepared to use BGA, we
can get a very fast, very dense FPGA.

Lyle