[hpsdr] Mercury

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Sun Sep 24 08:15:23 PDT 2006

Hello jeff!
>> Since these are flip-flops and not MUXes, I don't understand their
>> use.   Can't we just run the ADC output directly to the FPGA and to
>> the DDC?
>>
> ADC performance depend critically on minimizing the digital switching
> currents flowing on the digital pins (to minimize noise). Designs always
> buffer the output unless the lines run straight to a single device (that
> has low capacitance inputs).

QSL

The parts referenced were flip flops, not buffers (although of course
they will isolate the load(s)) but in the context of routing the signals
to the DDC or the FPGA.  That is what has me slightly confused.

>> Do we need a larger/different family FPGA for more resources or speed
>> to implement a DDC?  I'm concerned that the ADI part may not have a
>> long life.  And of course, it is BGA...  If we are prepared to use
>> BGA, we can get a very fast, very dense FPGA.
>>
> If an ASIC can do the job, then it will have less size and power
> consumption than an FPGA from the same technology era, because ASICs
> have more optimized designs. The gap is about 10:1 in base cost. Another
> way to say it...It takes 5 years of Moore's Law advancement for an FPGA
> to equal an optimal ASIC in size, power and base cost. The FPGA has an
> advantage when no ASIC exists for the available ASICs don't fit the
> requirement very well.
>
> The AD6636 has 5 channels and most of today's SDR applications only
> require one, so an FPGA gains some advantage by implementing just what
> the SDR needs.
>
> Maybe a different part in the AD66xx family that costs less, such as the
> AD6620??

The 6636 is the only one fast enough for the 2208 ADC.

The downsides are cost, BGA packaging and while it is programmable it is
still WYSIWYG.

Hence my questions about a larger FPGA to implement the DDC function(s).

Lyle KK7P