[hpsdr] Janus Beta Files Uploaded

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.co.uk
Sun Sep 24 11:50:21 PDT 2006

Lyle Johnson wrote:

> Cecil Bayona wrote:
>
>>> I also updated the copyright notices and referenced the TAPR OHL, and
>>> added a license file to the PCB zip...
>>>
>> What happened to this being an open project?
>
> It is open, Cecil.  That's why the PCB files, schematics, Verilog code,
> PowerSDR drivers, etc., are freely published.
>
> Some aspects are not "free to exploit commercially" (free beer) but all
> are "free to share and learn from and use personally" (free speech).  If
> a commercial entity wishes to exploit the "non commercial use" design
> work, they can contact the owners of the IP and negotiate that with them.
>
> Note that some portions of the HPSDR project will be designated "non
> commercial use" and others will not have this restriction.  That is up
> to the developer; it is his art and sweat and his prerogative.  The TAPR
> OHL, when published, will make this all very clear.  It is
> philosophically very similar to the GPL for software.
>
> 73,
>
> Lyle KK7P

Do you understand that if the License is not yet published, no one has
the license.
So, as it currently stands, no one is allowed to do anything with it
apart from read the documents you have published. No one is allowed to
build their own boards or anything vaguely useful in fact.

Also note, that "non commercial use" is not GPL compatible, so do not
try to call it "very similar to the GPL".

James