[hpsdr] Epi idea

Chris Salinas n0ttw at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 1 02:24:32 PDT 2007

Hi Phil,

  My experience is with DEMI's 144-28INT transverter for driving other 144 IF transverters in the past. The interface is adequate for most uses. I could use DEMI's specs, but anything could be improved. So let me pass to you what I think the the specs could be.

  NF less than 2 dB with unity gain on 28Mhz receive. My understanding is Mercury has preamps and besides, anyone using 2m knows that good quality cable is needed for that frequency. Preamps shouldn't be needed in that case.

  Input TX power should handle the full output of Penelope. Nothing says we have to stick with 28Mhz as the input IF. Of course, if you have another idea about what will be the 144 exciter, I'm all ears.

  Output power would depend on Epi's power handling at the crosspoint switch. If I'm running cables out to a microwave transverter up a tower, it would be nice to have up to 30mW drive max, that is also adjustable. Adjustment could be analog or digital by nature.

  I'm assuming that this could be used for satellite, so it would be nice to have full-duplex ability. I would say that the RX and TX are kept separate and only would share a single 116Mhz Osc (that's if 28Mhz is used).

  Of course, a nice band-pass filter for the 144Mhz TX, a stable LO and a way to bypass it without using up Epi's crosspoint switches to do it.

  Believe me, I could make a Xmas list on this... or did I already... LOL

  73's Chris N0TTW

Phil Harman <pvharman at arach.net.au> wrote:
          Hi Chris,

  It would certainly be possible - we need a little more in the way of a specification i.e.

  Noise Figure
  Rx gain
  Tx gain and power output level
  Full or half duplex