[hpsdr] Pandora Update: another potential enclosure.

Ben Hall kd5byb at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 8 17:29:13 PDT 2007

Good evening all,

I've been rather quiet lately, but things continue to proceed on the
prototyping for the Pandora Enclosure Concept.

Part of the work I've been doing has entailed exchanging e-mails with
the folks at Buckeye Shapeform, seeing what sort of cases they have.
(Note that I've not abandoned the Ten-Tec BK-959, just seeing what else
is out there as some problems re: shielding have been identified with
the BK-959.)

At Buckeye, my first choice, the XPAND-A series, has turned out to be
way too expensive.  The size I had in mind was going to run about $125,
which was too much.

Buckeye recommended an E-series case, but this type of case involved
putting the HPSDR into an extruded aluminum tube that would require the
entire "guts" of the HPSDR to be "slid out" to allow for
servicing/modification.  That means you've got to disconnect all the
cables, etc., to do any work on it.

I'm now pursuing a semi-custom E-series case, which you can take a look
at here:

<http://www.buckeye-enclosures.com/product_overview.php?subcategoryid=24&applcation=A>

What do y'all think?  Any immediate down-sides that y'all can see?

It's semi-custom, as it is assembled from off-the-shelf extrusions.
We've got several choices in width/height (I'm thinking 9.6" wide, 5.7"
tall which seems to be a good fit) plus a nearly unlimited selections of
depths.  The webpage lists only 6" or 8" depths, but I've confirmed with
them that any depth up to 15" is possible.  One downside of the BK-959
is that if it is stuffed with a full complement of 220mm cards, there is
no room for front-panel controls.  With the Buckeye case, I think I'd
choose a depth of 10 or 11 inches.

Thoughts?
--
Thanks and 73,