[hpsdr] power supply protection

FRANCIS CARCIA carcia at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 15 19:07:27 PDT 2007

I built my Atlas today and now thinking about the power supply. I plan to build a linear.
  I was thinking of a crowbar on the 3.3 and 5 volt outputs. I worked for a power supply many years ago and we used SCRs with a zener on the gate set to fire when the supply got to the maximum rail voltage. I think it was around 6.8 volts on a 5 volt supply. We put a cap gate cathode so it wouldn't go off with switching transients or noise. A fuse was located at the input of the regulator to open the circuit. We never used crowbars on op amp rails. frank WA1GFZ