[hpsdr] Power Ping RFQ

Eric Ellison ecellison at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 19:58:45 PDT 2007

Folks

I got an off-list question from a friend who was inquiring about power
supplies for Janus/Ozy. I know we have started and stopped this thread many
times in the past, but with about 500 A&T and many BB's projects going out
in the VERY near future, it is going to be decision time for MANY folks. It
wouldn't be very nice if we saw lotsa stuff smoke, due to poor choices.

Obviously most of the Alpha testers, have used regulated bench supplies.
Chris AE6VK has used the 60 and 120 W PicoPSU and shown it to work and be
pretty 'clean'. (Thanks Chris!)

Would it be advisable to spend a little more money and go with a Power-One
or Lambda multi-voltage linear open frame supply?

What is the minimum wattage we would need if just these 2 boards?

Anyone have any suggestions for a good ATX supply? Considerations for
selection? Mods? Circuit Protection for Atlas + Projects?

Personally I am going to take a shot, and have purchased a PicoPSU 120 W
12-32, based on Chris's work, in the absence of any personal experience.

Also:

1.	It can be powered by my 12 v. station supply and fused.
2.	It is small.
3.	This is the only device anyone has tested.
4.	I don't feel that I want to invest in a 3 voltage regulated bench
supply. (not very portable!)
5.	It does not require any minimum 'load' modifications to run.
6.	They come with all connectors.
7.	They are cute.

 They are out of 12-32, but have what looks like an equivalent 12-25 in
stock.

Comments:?

Eric